Friday, June 09, 2006

My New Word

I was writing something this morning, about what we will become if we don't wake up from our slumber with respect to Big Pharma: "...we will truly become droids - haemodroids." I said. Later I thought to Google it and it came up with nothing, but I was asked if I meant hemroids. It is with this incontrovertible evidence in my possession that I lay claim to having coined this term. I'll even tell you what it means if you can't figure it out for yourself.

I hesitated only for a moment before deciding to post this information, for while I had the Google machinery all fired up and at my disposal I though to check upon the status of another term I may well have thunk up independently - "hyper-rationalism" - and there were 1600 odd entries for it (including the non-hyphenated variant)! I'm not about to check through 1600 entries just to see how far back they can be dated, but there did seem to be evidence that my pre-1992 use of the term was decidedly early.

What a terrible terrible mess we find ourselves in when a Google search of the term "hyper-rationalism" will yield only 1600 responses.

3 Comments:

Blogger qrswave said...

Hey there dude...:) It's the "chick" from TTWSYF.

Do you think hyper-rationalism is desirable?

1:37 PM  
Blogger Erosoplier said...

Hiya girlie,

Firstly, when I click on "contact qrswave (yahoo)" it tells me that the page is unavailable or something. Is this because I don't have yahoo on my computer (I am a proud novice when it comes to computers)?

The short answer to your question is Hell no!! "Hyper-rationalism" is another term created to label a certain species of foolishness. The conscious rational mind can only work with what it's got, and the tendency is to forget that we don't have all the information we need to describe any particular phenomenon and to gloss over this deficit with theories based entirely on what we do (think we) know.

To borrow from Rumsfeld (!!), hyper-rationalism arises from the failure to fully acknowledge the significance of both known unknowns, and unknown unknowns. Big Pharma science is rife with examples of hyper-rationalism. It is science too smart by half.

12:21 AM  
Blogger qrswave said...

girlie?!! :)

sorry I missed your message the other day. It flashed before my eyes and I didn't get a chance to add you to my messenger list.

what's your yahoo messenger handle?

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home